A car roof box is a great way to increase storage when travelling or going on holiday. Read on to learn more about the different kinds of car roof boxes, the benefits they offer, and tips on how to safely use one.
What is a Car Roof Box?
A car roof box is a plastic storage container that sits on the roof of a car, increasing the amount of storage space available. They come in various shapes, sizes and colors and are perfect for storing larger items such as camping gear or luggage. Car roof boxes also help to keep items dry and secure when travelling and can be easily removed when not in use.
Types of Car Roof Boxes
There are many types of car roof boxes available, from basic models to those with more advanced features. Basic models are generally more affordable and provide basic storage space and protection. Advanced models tend to be more expensive but offer additional features such as mounting systems, ventilation, and locking systems.
There are several types of car roof boxes available on the market, each with its own set of features and benefits. Here are some of the most common types:
- Hard-Shell Roof Boxes: These are the most popular and commonly used roof boxes. They are made of sturdy and durable materials such as plastic or fiberglass, which makes them strong enough to withstand harsh weather conditions and protect your belongings from damage. They are also typically lockable, adding an extra layer of security.
- Soft-Shell Roof Boxes: These roof boxes are made of fabric and are typically more affordable than hard-shell boxes. They are also lightweight and flexible, which makes them easy to store when not in use. However, they may not be as durable as hard-shell boxes and are not as secure.
- Cargo Bags: Cargo bags are similar to soft-shell roof boxes but are made of heavy-duty fabric that is waterproof and durable. They are easy to install and can be folded up when not in use. However, they do not offer as much protection as hard-shell roof boxes.
- Roof Baskets: Roof baskets are open-topped containers that are designed to hold bulky items that do not fit inside a roof box. They are typically made of metal and are easy to install on roof racks. However, they do not offer the same level of protection as roof boxes or cargo bags.
- Ski/Snowboard Boxes: These roof boxes are designed specifically for carrying skis and snowboards. They are long and narrow to accommodate these items and often have padding to protect them from damage during transport. Some models can also be used to carry other gear such as fishing poles or golf clubs.
Benefits of a Car Roof Box
The primary benefit of a car roof box is that it provides additional storage space, allowing you to travel with more items. It also helps to keep items organized and secure, preventing them from moving around during travel. Car roof boxes can also help to protect items from the elements, providing a waterproof and dust-proof storage solution.
Installing a Car Roof Box
Most car roof boxes come with their own mounting system, which makes installation relatively simple. However, it is important to make sure that the roof box is securely mounted and that all of the necessary safety checks have been carried out.
How to Load a Car Roof Box
Once the roof box is securely mounted, it is then time to load it. The best way to do this is to start with the lightest items at the back of the box and work your way forward. It is important to make sure that all of the items are securely fastened and that the box is not overloaded.
Tips for Safely Using a Car Roof Box
When using a car roof box, it is essential to be aware of the following safety tips:
- Make sure the roof box is securely mounted
- Do not overload the roof box
- Always use the appropriate safety straps when travelling
- Make sure the roof box is well-ventilated
- Never leave items in the roof box when unattended
Car roof boxes are a great way to increase storage when travelling or on holiday. Understanding the different types of roof boxes available and how to install and use them safely is essential. By taking the time to understand how car roof boxes work and following the safety tips outlined here, you can ensure that you and your items remain safe on your travels.