Let’s say for the sake of argument that you are a fan of tandem bicycles. You and your buddy have decided that you want to go on a bike journey together, but you aren’t sure how you will get your tandem cycle to the locations of your dreams.
- Will a regular bike rack be sufficient to transport your tandem bicycle?
- One that is custom made?
- Where do you store your tandem bike while you’re not using it?
- Is it necessary for you to take the item apart?
As we go on to detail every single item you need to know when carrying your two-wheeler, all of those nagging questions that have been running through your brain will finally find some peace of mind now.
How Should a Tandem Bike Be Transported?
There are several methods in which you may transport your tandem bicycle.
You don’t need a rack to transport it since you can just place it straight into your vehicle.
Racks that attach to your car’s trunk or roof are two other options for carrying these items. Tailgate pads and truck bed bike racks are other options for transporting bikes in pickup trucks.
However, it is not the end of the story. You also have the option of disassembling your tandem bicycle and storing it in a bag designed specifically for tandem bicycles.
Now that you know what to anticipate, let’s take a closer look at each of them.
Tandem transport without the use of a bike rack
How will you transport your tandem bike if you don’t want to go to the trouble of purchasing a rack? It might be that this is your very first vacation, and you don’t feel ready to make such an investment.
There is an old proverb that says, “If there is a will, there is a way!” You do not need a rack to carry your bicycle if you make the decision to do so.
I did it in the first place since money was a little tight for me at the time, but hey, that just makes me more competent to give you some pointers on how to handle the situation.
You always have two options available to you even though this choice offers a restricted range of possibilities to investigate. You have the option of carrying it straight in your automobile or dismantling it completely and carrying it in a bag designed specifically for tandem travel.
Carrying Inside of Your Vehicle
It is possible to transport your tandem bicycle inside your vehicle; but, doing so may prove to be a challenging and time-consuming endeavor. Again, depending on how many people your vehicle can transport, you have two different options on how to go about this.
If you are going on a trip by yourself, you can simply secure your bicycle inside the trunk of your vehicle, and you will be ready to go. However, if you are taking your family with you, this solution will not work. A group of close companions? Or might it be some cargo?
Try not to freak out. I also have something that might be of interest to you. Take note that this only applies if you have a single bike to transport. In a moment, we shall discuss having more than one bike.
Also Read: How To Transport A Bike Without A Rack
When I decided to go out and spend some time by myself, I brought my tandem along for the ride. I transported my bike in my SUV, which worked out very well, but I had to modify the back seat in order to put the least amount of strain on my bike’s gears. If it hadn’t been for it, the chassis would have been ruined.
Kindly handle your bike with care and slip it into place slowly and cautiously. When you are putting your infant in your automobile, keep in mind that there is only so much room, and you don’t want to risk hurting her in any way.
In addition, if you decide to take this path, you must remember to bring a tarp to cover your bicycle in the event that it rains. To keep your bicycle’s components from rubbing against the metal of your automobile, use this method instead.
Whether you’re taking the kids or a few packages, we’ve got you covered.
What happens if you have to pack any stuff or if you are traveling with your family? You shouldn’t worry about it since you have choices in this regard as well.
- These days, a quick-release mechanism is standard equipment on the vast majority of bicycles. By removing the front wheel, you’ll have extra room in your vehicle.
- Be sure to adjust your bike with extreme care so as to prevent causing any damage to its back system. After you’ve properly positioned your bike, throw a sheet over it and place the wheel on top. This will ensure that the body of your bike is not damaged in any way.
- In addition, you may tie your bike’s brake callipers using cardboard between them to keep the “pots” (pistons) from hurting it.
- As a final option, you may open both wheels if you’re unable to accommodate your bike with only one. A sheet should be used to cover your bike, and both of its wheels should be stored on top of the sheet, where they should be securely fastened.
If You Need to Transport More Than One Tandem Bike at a Time
Do not even think about doing this if you are planning on transporting many tandem bicycles in your vehicle. It’s possible that you’ll have no trouble transporting the bike frames, but the wheels will be a challenge to cram in there.
If you do decide to take the risk of doing this, though, you need be sure to utilize sheets to provide cushioning for your bicycle by piling them up. This will ensure that your bicycles are protected from rough roads, reducing the likelihood that they will get scratches or dents as a result of the ride.
How Do You Dismount Your Bike Wheels From Your Tandem Bike?
If the wheels on your vehicle have a quick-release mechanism, you won’t need any tools to take them off your bike so you can clean it. Simply invert your bicycle and remove it off the ground.
If your bicycle does not have wheels that quickly detach, you will have to have a toolkit on available. Your wheel must be turned counter-clockwise and the air vents must be opened.
Dismantling Your Bike
- You may continue with this choice if you feel up to the challenge of taking on something new. You will need to disassemble your bike in order to fit it inside a suitcase that is specifically intended to transport tandem bicycles.
- These bags’ designs have been totally rethought, and they can be stretched out to a length of more than fifty linear inches in order to fit the entirety of your tandem bicycle.
- Additionally, the fenders for your bike may be stored inside. The chore of disassembling the whole set in order to fit all of the pieces into a bag will undoubtedly be a challenging one to do. However, this is also the most effective way for you to save some cash and, of obviously, some room in your home.
The Working Method
To disassemble your bike completely is unquestionably a laborious and time-consuming task; nonetheless, you should proceed with caution.
- To begin, using a wrench to take out the pedals from the vehicle. Once you’ve removed the couplers with a wrench and the brake cable splitters have been loosened with your fingers, you may open the derailleur wire splitter once again.
- Now spin the skewer that is attached to the back wheel. Simply position the chain such that it rides on the smallest gear, then draw the derailleur all the way back. The wheel is brought to its knees. Keep in mind that you need to take the skewer out of each of the tires. After opening the brake calliper on the wheel and turning the skewer a few times, you will be finished with the wheel.
- It is necessary for you to take the rotors off of both wheels if your vehicle is equipped with disc brakes. If you don’t, you might end up hurting them. Wrap them up in a blanket, cover them with another blanket, knot them together, and then stow them away in a secure location within your vehicle.
- Employing a wrench, remove the saddle as well as the front seat from their respective frames. After that, loosen the bolts that are located in the handlebar’s base so that the handlebar may be removed.
- Now, in order to pack up the tandem, you need to start by removing the crank set. After that, the chain is the element that must be eliminated. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s go on to the other components. First, we’ll give each of the bars some more cushioning by wrapping them in pads that are fastened with Velcro, and then we’ll divide each of those pads into three portions individually.
- When separating the various components using couplers, you can run into some resistance as a result of stress on the components that are being separated. Line the entire system up and release the strain, and that should suffice.
- Your adventure doesn’t stop here. To finish, you will need to protect the couplers from being damaged in any way by securing them with Velcro cushions.
How Do You Put the Disassembled Tandem Bike Into the Bag It Comes With?
- To begin, gather all of the tiny components you will need and place them in a single plastic bag. Then, set this bag aside.
- Now we get to the most significant components. Take the three components that have been separated, place the component in the center in a bag, and then place the front wheel on top of the middle component. After that, lay a piece of cardboard on top of it, and then position the back wheels on top of the cardboard.
- Now, get another bag and put the front and back halves of the piece in it by stacking them on top of one another so that their faces are facing in the opposite direction. After that, you will locate a few nooks and crannies here and there in which to hide the plastic bag with the miscellaneous components.
- After you have finished with this, if there are any more pieces remaining, you should continue to fit them in here and there as appropriate. That sums it up well. You and your bicycle are prepared to complete the transaction.
Tandem Bikes may be transported using Bike Racks.
What are your options if you don’t want to put in the effort required to go through the whole process of purchasing a bike rack for your tandem cycle?
Then, what other choices do you have before you? Let’s check it out.
In keeping with their name, these racks mount directly on top of your car’s roof rack or the upper door frames. They are among the most popular racks on the market.
They assist with rearward accessibility and enable you to utilize your trunk without any restrictions. If you don’t already have a roof bar, you may use suction racks, which do not need any pre-existing system to attach to your vehicle.
To construct the roof rack, you first need to choose a rack.
After positioning the rack on the bar, ensure that the bolts on both sides are securely tightened. Now bring down the carrier, and using the straps, secure the tandem bike to the top of the carrier. In conclusion, make sure that the rear mounts are snugly secured so that your child will not get any injuries.
Now place the carrier on top of the bar so that it is directly in the centre of it. After you have used bolts to secure the whole assembly, your bicycle is now prepared to be transported in your vehicle.
Keep in mind that adding a rack like this will cause a disruption in the aerodynamics of the car, which will result in an increase in the amount of gasoline that is required to operate the vehicle. Also, be cautious while lifting up your bike since you might end up damaging both of your cars if you do this.
Also see: The Difference Between a Fork Mount and an Upright Bike Rack
Transport a Tandem Bike Using the Rack on the Trunk
This is a better option than the roof racks if you are trying to reduce your impact on the environment since it uses less gas than they do. You may put these racks on the back of your vehicle and then attach them with the included straps if you have them. In addition to that, there will be some additional support provided by the arms and cradles.
They are simple to employ, and their operation does not rely on any pre-existing infrastructure. Bring the racks with you, and then secure the bike’s tires to the support in the carrier using the racks. The straps may be adjusted whenever you feel like it, therefore there is no set schedule for doing so.
After the bolts have been secured, the bike should be turned so that it is standing upright, and then the tubes should be firmly attached to the bolts. Additional straps should be used to secure both the wheels and the handlebar. When using this kind of rack, you won’t have to be concerned about your bike rocking back and forth.
Sincerity compels me to tell you that I will not propose this as your primary alternative since I do not consider it to be a very safe decision to adhere to due to the fact that they are not very secure for the motorcycles. In addition to that, it makes it more difficult to reach the back.
Racks for tandem bicycles designed to fit a truck bed.
What happens if you have a pickup vehicle of your own?
What method do you use to transport your tandem bicycle?
You may transport your tandem in the same manner as any other bicycle by placing a bike rack in the back of your vehicle. You just need to confirm the dimensions and requirements, and then you will be finished.
Even though they take up a ridiculous amount of room, I found that they were the simplest to utilize.
When used in conjunction with a standard bicycle, this cushion may cause a significant reduction in available space. It would be a significant headache to do so with tandems.
Tailgate Bike Pads for Tandem Bike
It is possible to carry a tandem bicycle using a bike pad that is attached to the tailgate of a pickup truck. These are pads with a rectangular form that may be fastened to the back of the tailgate of your vehicle.
When you have finished picking the pad, fold it over your tailgate and cover it with the folded portion. After that, place your bicycle on the tailgate. Your bike will have more foam support as a result of this. They are also a contributor to the lack of space.
In my experience, the pads lost the softness on the inside of the device very fast, which suggests that this may be a significant obstacle to overcome. They aren’t a great match for long-distance rough travels, so that might be another potential safety hazard posed by them.
Tandem Bike Hitch Racks Customized for Your Needs
Have you have a standard trailer hitch rack? I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you can’t transport tandem bikes with one of these standard hitch rigs. You are required to purchase racks that are manufactured specifically for your hitch if you ever decide to use them.
The reason for this is that standard hitch racks are unable to accommodate the enormous gap that exists between the front and back wheels.
Because of the potential strain that these costs might put on your finances, I would advise you to only pursue this option as a very last resort.
You may also be interested in reading, How to Transport Bikes Without Using a Hitch.
Putting a Shining Clover on the Top
Now, as promised, here is an exhaustive tutorial on how to carry your tandem bicycle. It is my sincere hope that you and your traveling buddy may one day be able to realize your shared ambition of seeing some of the more remote locations in the world on your tandem bicycle. Best wishes for the trip.