The bicycle is one of the most popular means of transport. Many use it regularly on the way to work and to go shopping, some as sports equipment. But what to do with the bike when it’s not being used? Not everyone has enough space at home to store the bike dry and safe. Bicycle cellars are rare and parking in the hallway is often forbidden. The solution: special bike racks for your own basement, balcony or garage . Special bicycle holders are available to store a bike safely there. The selection is diverse and ranges from wall brackets to devices for ceiling mounting to mobile bicycle stands. Many an expensive sports bike even becomes a hip work of art on the wall.
The following bike holder comparison presents eleven current models. The following guide focuses on the advantages and disadvantages of the different types as well as tips for the correct installation of the bicycle holder. A FAQ area provides concise answers to frequently asked questions. Finally, there is information on whether Stiftung Warentest or Öko Test has already carried out a bicycle holder test and how the products performed there.
1. Relaxdays Wall-Mounted Bike Holders
According to the manufacturer, the Relaxdays bike holder is suitable for all common types of bikes with a maximum wheel rim width of 5 centimetres. It should be robust and durable and have a maximum load capacity of 25 kilograms per hook. Two holders are included in the set. The brackets, in which one wheel can be hung vertically, have a plastic coating to protect against scratches. The bike holder is intended for wall mounting. The entire set is made of sheet steel. Each of the two holders weighs 460 grams.
According to the manufacturer, the required mounting material is an integral part of the original scope of delivery. It is installed by drilling four holes in the wall at a specified distance and using dowels. The wall must be sufficiently thick and the distance to the floor large enough. The inner dimensions for the tires are 8 centimeters wide and 10 centimeters deep. The bike holder measures 26.5 × 10.0 × 12.0 (length x width x height) centimeters.
- How many bikes does the Relaxdays 10014689 bike holder hold?
It is a bike holder set with two brackets for two bikes.
- Is the wall mount suitable for mountain bikes?
Yes, as long as the rim width does not exceed 5 centimeters, the Relaxdays 10014689 bike holder is suitable for mountain bikes.
- Can the bikes be fixed to the ground?
Yes, according to the manufacturer, the bike holder is also suitable for floor mounting.
- Are the temples flexible or fixed?
The brackets should be firmly fixed.
- How big is the opening for hanging?
It has a depth of 7 centimeters.
2.Ultrawall Bike Storage Rack
Keep your bikes safe and organized with the Ultrawall 6 Bike Storage Rack! This sturdy rack is made of powder-coated steel for lasting durability, and features space attachments to accommodate up to 48″ of bikes.
The safety hook design ensures that your bikes will be securely held in place, while the heavy duty mounting hardware makes installation a breeze. Keep your family’s bikes neat and tidy with the Ultrawall 6 Bike Storage Rack.
Compatible with a wide range of bicycles: Six bicycles might be stored on an Ultrawall garage wall mount bike rack. The wall bike rack can accommodate a wide range of bikes, including road, beach, and kid’s cycles, as well as some of your other items!
- Do I need a larger or smaller drill bit for the provided screws? The installation manual recommends using a 5mm drill bit.
- Is it okay if I use toggle bolts? No. It’s suggested that you purchase a 1×6 pine board, mount it to the studs, then fasten the rack to it. It’ll be robust and lovely.
- Is it possible to get 29″ tires on this? Yes, they will fit.
3. PHUNAYA Wall Mounted Bike Storage Hanger
This hanger is easy to install and can hold up to 68lbs, making it perfect for bikes of all sizes.
The folding design means you can easily hang your bike on the wall when not in use, and the rubber covering protects your bike from scratches.
- Is it possible to mount it on a stud wall? It is difficult to put on a stud wall. Install on the broad side of a 2×4 that is exposed. The hanger’s upper section is too broad to be fastened with a single bolt.
- I misplaced the directions for putting it together. How can I recover them? There is no need for assembling. For different wall types, mounting hardware is supplied. Install hooks far enough apart to allow the bicycle to be hung from its frame.
- What are the dimensions of the bike holder? It’s 8cm/3.15′ from one up hole to the other, and 13.2cm/5.2′ from one up hole to the other.
4. PRO BIKE TOOL Wall Mount
Looking for the perfect way to store your bike indoors? Look no further than the PRO BIKE TOOL Horizontal Bike Rack! This handy storage system fits most bike types, including road, cyclocross, hybrid and MTB, and can hold bikes up to 22kg/48.5lbs.
The adjustable cradle arms ensure that all size and shape bicycle frames can be accommodated, while the reliable ratchet gear system ensures your bike is securely held in place.
So free up some floor space in your garage or home and make use of your walls with the PRO BIKE TOOL Horizontal Bike Rack!
- Take Up Less Space & Be More Convenient Keep your garage or interior area clean and clutter-free by storing your bike. For flats, residences, garages, and sheds, our high-quality, future-proof wall-hanging solution to bike storage is ideal. Road, cyclocross, hybrid, and mountain bikes all work with the storage system.
- Can handle bikes weighing up to 22 kilograms (48.5 pounds). Wide handlebars, lengthy wheelbases, and fat bikes are all out of the question.
- Dependable – Make it easy to remove and store your bike by storing it horizontally. A sturdy steel wall mount with a scratch-resistant finish. A’reliable’ ratchet gear system secures motorcycles with the bike arm locking mechanism. An adjustable angle of up to 88 degrees ensures that your bike is always level, regardless of the form or size of your bicycle.
- Detailed Installation Instructions and Mounting Screws are Included for Ease of Use. In order to fit a wide range of bike frames, the adjustable cradle arms have been designed with a push-button locking mechanism. It is possible to stretch the hanger beam from 8.7 inches to 12.6 inches and fasten it using a secure push button system.
TPR rubber arm ‘cradles’ that will not harm your bike, whether it’s constructed of aluminum or steel. –
- Scuff-Free Storage Cradles shield the frame’s finish from damage and securely retain even the most intricate tube forms. To prevent the front wheel from hitting your wall, this bike comes with an ultra-strong elasticity rope.
The supplier is so confident in our high-quality racks that if you have any product difficulties, they will either refund or replace your order!
5. Gootus Horizontal Wall Mounted Bike Rack
This premium rack is made of stainless steel and comes with a scratch-resistant surface coating, ensuring that your bike will stay safe and secure.
With a maximum hanging weight of 150lb, this rack can accommodate any bike size or style. Plus, installation is a breeze – the rack includes 2 types of screws, so you can mount it on brick, wood studs, or dry wall.
Don’t let your bike take up valuable floor space – use the Gootus Horizontal Wall Mounted Bike Rack to safely store it on the wall!
- The bike wall mount includes two kinds of screws and may be installed on brick, wood studs, or dry wall. It is made of stainless steel and has a scratch-resistant surface coating.
- As a bonus, the Gootus bike wall hanger frees up even more important floor space in your garage, making it ideal for both flats and garages of all sizes. Most bicycles, notably dirt bikes, road bikes, and hybrids, may be safely stored in our wall-mounted bike storage rack system.
- Horizontal Suspension: The fashionable smile design provides an artistic character to your area and is incredibly ornamental. Using a bike wall mount is more like displaying a piece of art. Ideal for displaying bicycles in a store, workplace, garage, or apartment.
- To conserve space, this horizontal bike wall hanger uses an easy-to-install design. There is no assembly necessary for the bike wall bracket. Take out your bicycle or pedal-powered vehicle and place its pedal in the bike storage suspension.
- To suspend and remove the bike, the bike permanent hook is an ideal choice. These bicycle wall racks are a great way to keep all of your bicycles together and out of the way. Gootus bicycle rack is the best option if you are seeking for a strong and efficient bike rack.
What is a bike holder?
Many people use their bicycles every day, many only seasonally, and others only occasionally. One issue affects them all: Everyone has to stow their bikes, no matter how often they use it. Special bicycle holders can help here. With such products, the bike can be stored at home in a space-saving manner – either on the wall, the ceiling or on a stand, which is usually movable. Depending on how much space is available or how often the bike is used, one or the other variant is more suitable.
When does a bicycle holder make sense?
If you want to protect your bike from snow and rain, you can take it indoors or in the garage. On a bicycle holder in a closed room, it is well protected from external influences, safe from theft and can be stowed away to save space. The wall mount is usually the best option, but there are also other models of accommodation.
Wall and ceiling mounts, also known as ceiling lifts, are intended for indoor use. The prerequisite for a ceiling mount is either sufficient ceiling height, which is not the case in most homes, or suitable home furnishings. The bicycle can be hung above a wide but not high cupboard with a ceiling lift to save space. If you want to stow your bike under the ceiling of a high room, you should make sure that it is hung high enough so that you can walk under it in a relaxed manner.
Why applies to e-bikes special caution?
With almost 1.5 million e-bikes sold in 2019 alone, suitable mounts for these models are becoming increasingly common. The difference between an electric bike or pedelec and a normal bike lies in the usually significantly higher weight of electric bikes and the different frame shape of many e-bikes.
Many e-bikes weigh more than 55 lbs. Buyers should make sure that a bicycle holder is sufficiently resilient. The fact that more and more manufacturers are concentrating on special brackets for e-bikes is due to the advantages of the e-bike:
[i2pc show_title=”false” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Range in everyday life more than sufficient
Long distances and climbs can also be ridden without training
Large variety of models and price range[/i2pros][i2cons]Heavy
Battery loses capacity over time[/i2cons][/i2pc]
The different types of bicycle holders
Bike mounts fall into three main categories:
- The wall mount
- The ceiling mount or ceiling lift
- The bike stand
The wall mount
The bicycle wall mount offers the most variants, which differ in the type of suspension. In some models, the bike hangs vertically on the wall and is attached to the front wheel. In other variants, it is slightly tilted and parallel to the wall on a so-called guide rail. Other possibilities are, for example, the suspension on the pedals or on the frame.
The rail mount
The rail bracket is placed parallel to the wall at an appropriate height. It consists of a holder, a guide rail and a fastening hook. The bicycle is usually fixed via the frame, but with some models also via the seat post. In the case of the rail version, the holding arms are usually rubberized or covered with a special plastic so as not to cause scratches on the bike. A classic rail mount offers space for a bicycle.
Pros and cons of a rail mount:
Available for a low purchase price
Space-saving storage parallel to the wall[/i2pros][i2cons]Comparatively complex installation
Only suitable for a bicycle
Visually more striking than other solutions[/i2cons][/i2pc]
Fastening over the front wheel
Most front wheel mount bike holders are available for a reasonable purchase price. The models are usually made of solid stainless steel and are easy to assemble. Almost all manufacturers include the material for assembly with the delivery. The bike holder consists of a steel plate and a hook for attachment. It is attached to the wall at a suitable height using four drill holes with screws and dowels.
Many cyclists attach the mount so that the wheel still touches the ground with the rear tire – this reduces the load on the front tire. However, this is not always necessary and also depends on the available space. Once the bracket is secured, the wheel is lifted with the front tire up and slid into the rail of the bracket. At the same time, a hook is placed around the rim that holds the bike in position. The surface of the rail is profiled for a better grip.
Advantages and disadvantages of mounting on the front wheel:
Available as a set for a low price
Self assembly possible
Suitable for several bikes[/i2pros][i2cons]The wheel is perpendicular to the wall – not the right solution for every room
Screws and dowels from the scope of delivery are often of inferior quality[/i2cons][/i2pc]
The pedal mount
From a purely visual point of view, the pedal mount is the simplest wall mount. A small bracket is attached to the wall and the bike is then hung on the pedals. The pedal bracket is suitable, for example, for basement rooms, garages, corridors or apartments. Before buying, you should make sure that the dimensions given match the size of the pedals.
Since the rear wheel and sometimes the front wheel touch the wall with the pedal bracket, the scope of delivery should include a corresponding wall protection. If this is not included, bikers should buy it as well. This applies in particular to installation in the apartment.
Pros and cons of a pedal mount:
[i2pc show_title=”false” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Suitable for all common bicycle types
Favorable purchase price[/i2pros][i2cons]Space for only one bike
Tire can touch the wall and soil it[/i2cons][/i2pc]
The folding bracket
The folding bracket is a very space-saving version of the wall bracket. It offers space for up to two bikes and can be folded up when not in use. The bike holder is mounted on the wall with two to four screws. There are two arms protruding into the room on the holding plate, into which the bicycle with the frame is hung. The two arms are folded up when not in use. The arms of the mount are rubberized to avoid scratching the bike.
Advantages and disadvantages of a folding mount:
[i2pc show_title=”false” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Suitable for all common bicycle types
Space-saving as it can be folded away when not in use
Thanks to opposing suspension, there is often space for two bikes
Favorable purchase price[/i2pros][i2cons]No significant disadvantages[/i2cons][/i2pc]
The ceiling mount / ceiling lift
A ceiling lift, also known as a ceiling mount or bike lift, helps bike owners to make profitable use of even a small amount of space. It is particularly suitable for rooms with above-average heights, such as barns or commercial buildings, as long as the load-bearing capacity of the ceiling allows it. Pulling the bike up to the ceiling every day at the lift using a cable pull, however, is a lot of work. For this reason, this variant of a bike holder is particularly suitable for cyclists who want to stow the bike over the entire winter.
The carrier plate of a bicycle lift is attached to the ceiling. The lift works via a cable pull with rollers based on the pulley principle. Depending on the model, one hook is attached to the front of the handlebars and one to the rear of the saddle, the rear wheel or the luggage rack. The hooks are rubberized to prevent damage and scratches. Some cable pulls are attached to the wall for safety, others are freely suspended and are equipped with a braking device.
Pros and cons of a ceiling mount:
[i2pc show_title=”false” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]Very space-saving
Ideal for winter storage of wheels
Can be used as a repair aid or assembly stand[/i2pros][i2cons]Only suitable for one wheel
The bike stand
The classic bicycle stand is found in front of many train stations, shops and residential buildings. In the bicycle cellars or in the outdoor area in front of terraced or multi-family houses, where all tenants can park their bicycles, these parking spaces are usually overcrowded. This can be remedied by mobile bike racks, in which the bike is placed vertically. They are suitable for numerous places such as the basement, the balcony or even the office. A big advantage: no assembly is required.
Pros and cons of a bike stand:
[i2pc show_title=”false” title=”Pros & Cons” show_button=”false” pros_title=”Pros” cons_title=”Cons” ][i2pros]No assembly required
Adjustable in length and height
Suitable for all common wheel types
Versatile[/i2pros][i2cons]Depending on the quality, less stable than a wall mount[/i2cons][/i2pc]
Important purchase criteria for a bicycle holder
Bike owners should pay attention to the following criteria before buying a bike holder:
- Type of bike holder: The first consideration before buying should be the type of bike holder. The choice depends on the available space, the number of bikes and the frequency of use.
- Maximum load: Most household bikes such as city bikesor trekking bikes and racing bikes rarely exceed the maximum load capacity of the bike mounts. This can be done with e-bikeslook very different. They usually weigh between 25 and 30 kilograms or more. If a bike holder is suitable for more than one bike, both together must not exceed the total weight.
- Material: Since bike holders are usually available for a very low purchase price, the focus should be on quality and not price. The material must be sufficiently stable to hold the weight of the bike and not show signs of failure after a short time – for example, if a holding arm breaks off. It is worse if the bike falls down and breaks due to poor material quality of the holder.
- Frame Type : Folding mounts and some rail mounts use the bike’s frame for attachment. It is important to check the respective information and to ensure that the bracket is suitable for the respective frame type. All mounts are compatible with the most common frame type, the diamond frame. The situation is different for Y frames and other frames. More about the frame types will follow later in the guide.
- Assembly: Not all models come with the necessary assembly tools and accessories. But even if it is present, it is not always suitable for mounting, since the holder needs wood screws for mounting on a wooden wall, for example, but only standard screws for concrete walls are included in the scope of delivery. When buying, you should make sure that the right assembly tool is included. Otherwise it must be purchased separately. In addition, assembly should be easy to do without requiring a great deal of manual skill.
- Rim and Tire Width: Many wall mounts require mounting across one or both tires. Here it is important to pay attention to the manufacturer’s information regarding the maximum tire or rim width.
- Space for accessories: Depending on the model, some manufacturers offer the option of storing the bicycle helmet or the cycling jersey for the racing bike on the bicycle holder as well. If you want to expand your bicycle fleet, you don’t always have to buy a new bracket. Depending on the model, additional bike rails are available in the accessory trade, with which the bike holder can be expanded. The maximum load should be taken into account.
How heavy is a bike?
Not everyone knows exactly how much their bike weighs, down to the gram, and an accurate scale is rarely on hand. However, when buying a bike holder, the weight of the bike plays a decisive role. The following information on the average weight of common bicycles is an estimate.
If you don’t want to think about it too much, you should opt for a bike carrier with a maximum load capacity of 30 to 40 kilograms. With most bikes, the buyer is on the safe side. Few e-bikeswith a heavy battery, a very heavy steel frame and other additional features exceed a weight of 40 kilograms.
- Fully equipped steel city bikes including a hub dynamo, mudguards, steel pannier racks, steel handlebars and a 7-speed hub gear weigh 14 to 19 kilograms.
- Classic city bikeswithout StVZO-compliant equipment weigh 14 to 16 kilograms.
- Trekking bikes with steel or aluminum frames weigh between 13 and 19 kilograms.
- Aluminum mountain bikes weigh an average of 10 to 15 kilograms.
- The average racing bike weighs 10 kilograms.
- E-bikes start at a weight of almost 20 kilograms, many common models weigh 25 kilograms. Depending on the material and equipment, the weight can also be 30 or 40 kilograms.
Frame types at a glance
Some bike mounts use the bike’s frame for mounting. Many mounts are only suitable for a few specific types of bike frames. The common types are:
- Diamond/Trapeze frame: This type of frame is used for most men’s bikes.
- Y Frame: A typical mountain bike frame that resembles the letter Y in shape.
- Sloping frame: A special frame for trekking and mountain bikes. The top tube drops slightly towards the rear.
- Wave frame/step-through: The common frame for women’s or senior bikes. The top bar is missing to comfortably get on the bike.
How is a bike mount installed?
The assembly of a bicycle holder is usually uncomplicated and requires no special knowledge or manual skills. Most manufacturers supply the necessary fastening materials such as screws or dowels at the same time. Usually there are four to six screws with which the holder is mounted on the wall or ceiling.
If you have already screwed a lamp or a piece of furniture to a wall, you can usually also mount a bicycle holder. Mounting on the ceiling is a bit more complex, since you usually have to work upside down. For attachment to a masonry, concrete, wood or fiber cement wall, appropriate drill bits and screws intended for the material are required.
Now that you know the five best bike holders for efficient storage, it’s time to get your own! Not only will a bike holder save you space, but it will also keep your bike safe and secure. So what are you waiting for? Get a bike holder today!